It hasn’t all been writing and commuting and writing this year. Though, to be honest, what year ever is?
Enjoyed on the big screen:
- Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
- Red Riding: In The Year of Our Lord 1974
- On Chesil Beach
- The Irishman
- Stan and Ollie
Honourable mentions: Captain Marvel for being smart and fun; Shazam! for being funny; High Life for leaving this viewer grinning and unable to explain why; and Jojo Rabbit for pulling one of a hat.
Lapped up on the small screen:
- Barry Season 2
- Gentleman Jack Season 1
- Dark Seasons 1–2
- Jett Season 1
- Educators Season 1
- Mindhunter Season 2
- The Expanse Season 4
Honourable mentions: the final, ultimately disappointing, season of Game of Thrones; The Leftovers, whose first season was a cracker; and The Crown, seasons one to two binged in the month of December, leaving the phrase “thenk yew” as a verbal handgrenade in Fortress Mamea.
Ahi Arunaharan’s My Heart Goes Thadak Thadak, Q Theatre. Pic from 13thfloor.co.nz.
- Red Leap Theatre’s Owls Do Cry
- Ahi Arunaharan’s My Heart Goes Thadak Thadak
- Whangārei Music Society’s production of Rent
- White Man Behind a Desk: Party at the End of the World
- Matthew Loveranes’ MoodPorn
- Northland Youth Theatre’s production of Romeo and Juliet
Honourable mentions: Victor Rodger’s Club Paradiso, Bleeding Black, and Black Grace: Dark Matter.